hackajob Limited Privacy Notice
What is the purpose of this document?
hackajob Limited is a "data controller". This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. You are being provided with a copy of this privacy notice because you want us to make available your details to our clients with a view to them offering you employment (“our services”). It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, namely for the purposes of our services, and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely
The kind of information we hold about you
In connection with the provision of our services, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- The information you have provided to us on our website or which we obtain through third party sources, including name, title, address, telephone number, personal email address, date of birth, gender, employment history, qualifications, experience, personal statement, aspirations, account password and profile photo.
- The information you have provided to us by email or have posted on our website.
- The information you provide to us during an interview or telephone call.
- Any information provided during a challenge or survey.
- Any information you provide by signing in or sharing from, or linking to, social networking sites (such as Facebook, LinkedIn, GitHub, Google).
- Technical data from your use of our website, such as IP address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plugin types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our website.
- Usage data about how you use our website, products and services, e.g. what pages you access on the Service (and when and for how long), what links or elements you click, mouse movements and scrolling behaviors.
- Marketing and communications data including your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our 3rd parties, and your communications preferences.
We may collect, store and use the following "special categories" of more sensitive personal information which you actively provide to us:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions.
- Information about your health, including any medical condition, health and sickness records.
When you use our website, we also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your Usage Data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature. However, if we combine or connect Aggregated Data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
How is your personal information collected?
We collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- You, the candidate, when you contact us or interact with us on our website, by email or phone.
- Publically-accessible job boards.
- Social media platforms and other 3rd party sources, which are publically-accessible or to which you give us access.
- Via automated technologies or interactions through your use of our website.
- From analytics providers, such as Google, and search information providers.
- From identity and contact data brokers and aggregators.
How we will use information about you
We will use the personal information we collect about you to:
- Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability to match you to available opportunities.
- Notify and correspond with clients who we think will be interested in you.
- Make available your details on our website for our clients to view.
- Communicate with you about the recruitment process. Keep records related to our services.
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and improve our website and services.
It is in our legitimate interests to provide our services to you, including making available your details to appropriate clients and, generally, on our website, as we are paid by our clients for introducing suitable candidates to them.
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to provide our services (such as evidence of qualifications or work history), we will not be able to provide our services properly or make your details available to suitable clients.
How we use particularly sensitive personal information
We will use your particularly sensitive personal information in the following ways:
- We will use information about your disability status to consider whether we need to notify clients that they will need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process, for example whether adjustments need to be made during a test or interview, and to notify such clients where appropriate.
We use algorithms to match you to suitable opportunities. You have the right to object to us processing your personal information in this way by deleting your account, but if you object, we will not be able to provide you with our services.
Why might you share my personal information with third parties?
We will only share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes of providing our services:
- Our clients, either directly or by putting your details on our website, which is accessible by our clients.
- Third-party service providers, which we use to provide our services.
We will require our clients to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. However, our clients will be controllers of your personal information once we have disclosed it to them, as they will be reviewing it and using it for their own purposes. They will be covered by the relevant data protection legislation as controllers of that data. We recommend you review their privacy policies for details of how they will store and use your personal information.
All our third-party service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with their standard terms. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Some of our third-party party service providers are based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission. For further details, see European Commission: Adequacy of the protection of personal data in non-EU countries.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe. For further details, see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries.
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.
Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EEA.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. Except for our clients (who will be controllers of your data), they will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long will you use my information for?
We will retain your personal information and securely destroy it in accordance with our data retention policy and applicable laws and regulations. Generally, this would mean that we would retain your personal data until you ask us to delete it so that the information is readily available should you wish to pursue further opportunities by means of our Services.
Your data will only be made available to clients while your profile is “live” on our system. At all other times, your data will be stored, but not used, by us, unless you have opted in to our marketing.
Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact email@example.com in writing.
Right to withdraw consent
When you asked us to provide our services, you provided consent to us processing your personal information for the purposes of making your personal information available to our clients and identifying suitable job opportunities for you. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. To withdraw your consent, please delete your account. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your application and, subject to our retention policy, we will dispose of your personal data securely.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. We have established the following personal data control mechanisms:
Promotional offers from us
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you.
ou will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or we have provided services to you in the past, and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by logging into the website and checking or unchecking relevant boxes to adjust your marketing preferences or by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by emailing us email@example.com at any time.